There are no shortages of options when it comes to skin care products. Everywhere you go there are advertisements for moisturizers and exfoliators that all promise to do the same things, whether it is to reduce wrinkles, sunspots, or simply even out tone and texture. But how do you know which ones are the best? How can you tell the real anti-aging products from the fake?
We all want youthful, glowing, and blemish-free skin, and ideally, no one wants to pay any more than necessary for it. However, sometimes the adage is true: “you get what you pay for,” and when it comes to your skin, products that come directly from a medspa can provide some of the most satisfying results. While over-the-counter skin care products exist and are effective, there are also many that are not. In fact, some of these products carry ingredients that are harmful to your skin. So why pick blindly from a store shelf when you could listen to a trained skin professional. Here are some of the benefits that come when you “splurge” on products from a medspa.
Quality Active Ingredients
Every cream on the market is made up of two types of ingredients: active and inactive. Active ingredients are the ones to focus on as they are the actual treating ingredients; in essence, they are what will determine if the product does what it says it will. Inactive ingredients are merely put in a product to make it feel and smell nice, yet have no real benefit. High-end products from a medspa not only often have higher concentration and purity of active ingredients, but they have the capability of penetrating deeper into your skin to provide complete rejuvenation.
Some of the best active ingredients are:
- Niacinamide: It is used to restore the quality of your skin. This ingredient works to reduce water loss from the skin, ensuring that you retain more of your natural moisture. This is beneficial in improving skin elasticity and tone.
- Retinol: This reduces the appearance of wrinkles. Retinol consists of vitamin A and can improve uneven pigmentation, fine lines, skin tone, and hydration levels.
- Kojic acid: This ingredient slows the production of melanin and can brighten and even out skin tone to treat pigment irregularities.
- Alpha and beta hydroxy acids: AHA and ABA are used to remove dead skin layers while stimulating the collagen of the underlying skin.
- Copper: Copper is used to reduce inflammation. Copper stimulates the production of collagen and elastin to firm and soften the skin.
- Green tea extracts: Extracts are used to reduce irritation and skin dryness.